Tuesday 1 March 2016

Communicating the dancing stillness


In the beginning was the Word. The roundly resonant primal OM that shook life from chaos into order. The Word needed an ear; a heart to hear; a listener. The Word became the media between the sender and the receiver; the first layer of duality; the first veil. 

Behind that veil there is the primordial silence; the Void; the infinite horizon; the wilderness.

Sacred is that Word; the movement of sound; the transmission of That which originally speaks (or sings). Sacred is that movement of tiny atoms vibrating against the ear that hears, the Heart.

I remember a time before I trained as an Interfaith Minister; I time when I knew what I knew and I spoke with certainty. The truth I spoke was mine and I owned it. I was right and I was confident; the words spilled forth spontaneously and passionately. I knew what I knew and I spoke as I saw it.

As if the great Word Itself boomed through me and shattered my illusions to dust the seminary training broke me open; I no longer knew what I knew to be true; the axiom of paradox and parallels; my language my gift and my barrier… shaken and healed of my certainty.

Ordination. The touch of oil upon my head, warm hands on my back, and my internal horizon blown wide open. The wind of the wilderness kissing my naked body, the cool sun shining in my newborn eyes. The Void touched me. The silence enveloped me.

3 years, nearly, onwards and I am finding my voice once more. Finding a language that conveys knowledge of That without certainty. Respectfully finding words that lay open to interpretation; that liberate the spirit of the receiver. 

Paradoxically I am no channel as I speak the Word; for its genesis is within me and is not me. I cannot be free of responsibility claiming to speak what the Spirit has told me. The Spirit is me. I am no channel as I allow It to speak through me.

Wordsmith. Sear not the silver and gold in the cold waters but leave the forms to bend and flex. Words are no longer flat on a page but dance! Conveying the essence of stillness through the shapeshifting forms. A process, a dialogue - no longer simply the receiver and perceiver of the Word but a companion in discussion.

Oh that the still movement and dancing stillness could find their expression in the hearts of a wider audience. This is my prayer. I pray to find expression, to experience communication, to speak and hear the Word aloud and in community and in the nation and across the globe… I pray to find expression that liberates truth rather than delineating it. I pray to find my humility proclaiming my love for this planet from the mountaintops.

I can be still. But the Word is within me, the Word is me, and it needs to be heard.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment